About this Course
Our 0.5 Day COSHH Course (Control of Substances Hazardous to Health) is designed to protect people who work with hazardous chemicals. COSHH covers any substance which is hazardous to health with a few exceptions including Lead, Asbestos and Radioactive substances (which each have their own set of specific regulations).
Who is this for?
COSHH training is relevant to anybody who comes into contact with hazardous substances.
Introduction to COSHH:
- Definition of what constitutes a hazardous substance under COSHH regulations.
- An explanation of the potential risks from using hazardous substances
- Give some examples of hazardous substances relative to your workplace
- Have an understanding of the importance of Risk assessment in controlling the risks from the use of hazardous substances
- Explanation of legislation COSHH 2002 and also CHIP regulations (Chemicals Hazard and information Packaging) 2005.
- HSE Guidance Notes
- Duties of Employers and Employees under COSHH
- Explanation of the specific health problems which are related to specific hazardous substances
- How hazardous substances can enter the human body.
- Explain the difference between acute and chronic symptoms resulting from long and short term exposure.
Identifying hazardous substances
- Identifying hazardous substances in the workplace
- Understanding of the information on COSHH labels
- Identify the different warning symbols on COSHH labels
- Understand how Safety data sheets are relevant to safety in the workplace
- The importance of Safety Data Sheets in conducting COSHH risk assessments
Controlling hazardous substances
- Definition of the words hazard and risk
- Identify everybody who is potentially at risk in the workplace
- Definition of Control measures and how this is important in managing the risk from hazardous substances
- The hierarchy of Control Measures e.g Elimination, Substitution, Minimising Risk.
- Safe systems of work and PPE
- The responsibilities of Employers and Employees regarding COSHH risk assessments
- The importance or recording any COSHH risk assessments and also Monitoring and reviewing any such assessments.
- An explanation of Health Surveillance.
What are the Benefits for Employers?
The HSE guidance for Controlling Substances Hazardous to Health (COSHH) places a great emphasis on the need for a competent person to perform duties associated with preventing exposure to hazardous substances. Inadequate management, lack of training and poor communication has all been identified as contributory factors in employee ill health from short and long term exposure to hazardous substances.
Each delegate will receive a certificate of attendance upon successfully completing the course.
1/2 Day: £160 + VAT per person
- Minimum attendance: 6
- Cost for 6 students: £960 + VAT
What our customers say?
"We’ve just finished a week of Mental Health training with BV Associates Ltd who trained 80 of our staff over 4 sessions. They never fail to deliver exceptional training regardless of the subject. I will admit I was nervous putting myself on the course with 79 of my own staff but BVA gave me an overview when we booked the training and sent their trainer to explain what the course involved (at no extra cost I should add).
Feedback from those who attended and on returning to work states that they felt that there was an immediate culture change. My managers reported that they felt armed with the information to, above anything else, listen - they understand that we are merely supporting and signposting - not asking them to be qualified counsellors.
We had jumped on board after speaking to other companies who had spearheaded the qualification who can all show a demonstrable increase in productivity, a happier workforce and a desire to want to go to work (even the management team!). We look forward to our own results as we continue to grow as a business, together.
Sceptical at first, I now realise it’s not soft skills - it is merely putting the needs of your most important asset first whilst understanding that everyone has their own strengths and weaknesses working towards the same collective outcome."
"2 courses completed with BV Associates, very professional company that delivers a great standard of training. I have had the joy of Nik Taylor as an instructor on both courses and his training style and delivery of the subject matter is second to non. Thank you all at BV Associates for everything you have done to help me gain these qualifications and I am happy to recommend you to anyone."
Director at RTJ Training Ltd