About this Course
Our 0.5 Day COSHH Course (Control of Substances Hazardous to Health) is designed to protect people who work with hazardous chemicals. COSHH covers any substance which is hazardous to health with a few exceptions including Lead, Asbestos and Radioactive substances (which each have their own set of specific regulations).
Who is this for?
COSHH training is relevant to anybody who comes into contact with hazardous substances.
Introduction to COSHH:
- Definition of what constitutes a hazardous substance under COSHH regulations.
- An explanation of the potential risks from using hazardous substances
- Give some examples of hazardous substances relative to your workplace
- Have an understanding of the importance of Risk assessment in controlling the risks from the use of hazardous substances
- Explanation of legislation COSHH 2002 and also CHIP regulations (Chemicals Hazard and information Packaging) 2005.
- HSE Guidance Notes
- Duties of Employers and Employees under COSHH
- Explanation of the specific health problems which are related to specific hazardous substances
- How hazardous substances can enter the human body.
- Explain the difference between acute and chronic symptoms resulting from long and short term exposure.
Identifying hazardous substances
- Identifying hazardous substances in the workplace
- Understanding of the information on COSHH labels
- Identify the different warning symbols on COSHH labels
- Understand how Safety data sheets are relevant to safety in the workplace
- The importance of Safety Data Sheets in conducting COSHH risk assessments
Controlling hazardous substances
- Definition of the words hazard and risk
- Identify everybody who is potentially at risk in the workplace
- Definition of Control measures and how this is important in managing the risk from hazardous substances
- The hierarchy of Control Measures e.g Elimination, Substitution, Minimising Risk.
- Safe systems of work and PPE
- The responsibilities of Employers and Employees regarding COSHH risk assessments
- The importance or recording any COSHH risk assessments and also Monitoring and reviewing any such assessments.
- An explanation of Health Surveillance.
What are the Benefits for Employers?
The HSE guidance for Controlling Substances Hazardous to Health (COSHH) places a great emphasis on the need for a competent person to perform duties associated with preventing exposure to hazardous substances. Inadequate management, lack of training and poor communication has all been identified as contributory factors in employee ill health from short and long term exposure to hazardous substances.
Each delegate will receive a certificate of attendance upon successfully completing the course.
1/2 Day: £160 + VAT per person
- Minimum attendance: 6
- Cost for 6 students: £960 + VAT
What our customers say?
"A brilliant course delivered in a professional way. This course content, along with the qualification, set me up for a career in health and safety which I am still progressing in now."
"On my transition from the forces to the civilian sector, I used BVA as my NEBOSH course provider. Well the results speak for themselves, 3 out of 3 passed and on my first attempt with all. The advice given by the advisors (Claire) was superb. The professionalism continues with their first-rate instructors. I could not be happier with the way the courses progressed. First rate from start to finish!"